Thursday, February 16, 2012

Splittin' Wood

On and off for the past two weeks, Jesse (housemate), this 63 year old australian dude named Alan, and I have been lifting logs, moving logs, chainsawing limbs, and splitting wood. The first day of moving the wood wasn't bad because we just rolled the rings down a hill, and if we were lucky, they wouldn't fly to far out into the street. On the second day of moving though, one ring that probably weighed well over a hundred pounds, went speeding down the hill, across the street, hopped a curb, then headed straight for a second hill that had a house at the bottom of it. Luckily for me the ring turned left unexpectedly, and went cruising into a valley, breaking everything in it's path. It scared the crap out of me, so we started walking the rings down after that - slowing us down quite a bit. At least it was safe... I almost forgot to mention that one of the rings we rolled ran into a car, but thankfully it only hit the hubcap.

Yesterday I went from 8:30 in the am to 9 at night, splitting wood and carrying down the rest of the rings, but I'll be danged if it wasn't fun. To split the rings, we used a wood splitter, naturally. That thing was awesome. It went through the wood like it was butter. There was the occasional cut, scrape, piece of wood flying in the eye, I tripped myself up twice while carrying down some rings off the hill (the second fall lead to a branch ramming into my right butt cheek), and last, but far from least, I've never had so many splinters in my hands. This morning, it feels like a herd of elephants ran amuck through Queenstown and conveniently trampled all over my hands. What a blast! Sarcasm aside, it really has been fun, but I'm glad to be done. Today, Jesse and I will be stacking the cut wood and then we're done!

The wood. It doesn't look like much but that pile
nearly comes up to my head. We tried to make our own mountain. 

Here are some cats, which happen to be my new background (Critter and Penny). I thought it would be fun to show the process from start to finish.

Critter

Penny Attack!

No comments:

Post a Comment