Saturday, June 25, 2011

Before I go, I can't forget

In less than two weeks, I'll be jumping on a plane headed for LAX, then getting on a flight headed directly to Auckland, New Zealand. I have high hopes of experiencing a new and beautiful part of the world that I've never seen before, however, I can't forget that I don't have to travel to the opposite side of the globe in order to see and experience the breathtaking things this world has to offer. Some of the most amazing sights are right here in my own country. I just have to search past the highways, shopping centers and sub-divisions to find the beauty sometimes.

The other day, my parents and I took a little trip to Harpers Ferry to go on a hike that leads to an awesome overlook. The hike was nothing spectacular...just tree, after tree, after rotted fallen tree...but my parents had never been plus the view from the top is just too cool to pass up. From the overlook, you look right down on Harpers Ferry (a cool little town in West Virginia), and the rivers that it is situated between - the Shenandoah and Potomac (the two happen to run into each other right at Harpers Ferry). If I were alone, I probably could have stayed up there for a full hour or two to enjoy the sunset, but my parents were with me and that seemed a little ridiculous.

View of Harpers Ferry from the Maryland side.

A Praying Mantis enjoying the view as well

On the way down, my dad looked at my mom and asked her, "Why have we never done this before?" I think it's a valid question, my parents live 20 minutes away from Harpers Ferry, but this happens so often to everyone. It's just natural to take the things that are around us for granted. It's like the people that have lived in NYC their whole life, yet they've never been to the Statue of Liberty or to the top of the Empire State Building. There are a ton of great things this country has to offer - the Rockies, Grand Canyon, the Redwoods in California, ANY part of the west coast's coastline, all of the National Parks - but I've hardly experienced any of these things...other than the occasional National Geographic special. Before seeing any of these things in my own "backyard", I'll be flying across the globe to visit another country's sights and sounds. Honestly though, I have absolutely no problem putting America on hold for the time being. It'll be here when I get back.

2 comments:

  1. Harpers Ferry is one of mine and Will's favorite places. Haven't been there for at least 7 years, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it there. When I lived in VA I would ride my bike there all the time.

    ReplyDelete